Love is the greatest gift of all, and most times we experience this phenomenon even before we step foot into this world; mothers and fathers dote on their unborn child, looking earnestly to when they can hold them in their arms. Siblings experience this same kind of love with each other, as they are quick to come to a defense, when they smell some type of threat against their blood.
Image courtesy of Pexels
As we mature, we extend this love to friends; people who we choose to do life with. And when we get to a certain age we long to receive all that we have given over the course of our lives, from a possible significant other. Be it, love, from lovers, spouses, parents, siblings, or friends, as humans we thrive when there is love present in our lives.
As a self-acclaimed hopeful romantic, I want to be in love with someone who will love me back. Since I long for a genuine relationship with my one-day spouse, I have to be careful with the people I let into that space. How does one accomplish that? You ask; by treating the dating period as an evaluation period.
The dating period should be a time when you are weighing certain character traits, deciding if they fit into your future. Don’t rush into a relationship because you want to be in one so badly; take your time and learn the person you are considering so you don’t make a mistake that may cost you for life.
Design Courtesy of Canva Listed below are My Top 6 Things to Consider Before Taking That Leap of Faith:
1) Belief system: Sharing similar values and beliefs with your significant other is a dealmaker in a relationship. My Christian faith is of utmost importance to me; it is the core of who I am, so before I consider a serious relationship with someone, I like to know whether we are on the same page spiritually. If I don’t take this point seriously, it will pose some difficulty in the future.
2) How they treat others:
How they treat others is always indicative of how they will treat you. If they are disrespectful to people, to their servers, bosses, friends and so on, in no time, they will start acting that way towards you. Make sure whoever you are considering a future with is respectful to not just you but to others as well. Respect will go a long way.
3) How they handle Responsibility: Do they have a job? Are they faithful to their job or business? Do they take responsibility for their actions or are they deflective? You don’t want to seriously date someone who will be a liability to you. Find out what their plans and goals are and see if they are taking steps toward accomplishing those goals.
4) What type of Friends they have: “Show me your friends and I will tell you who you are” is a great saying that holds a lot of truth. People say that you are no greater than the five people you have around you. If your potential partner’s friends are nothing to write home about, that may be a clear indication of who that person is or who they will become.
5) Do they have a Vision for their life: If this person has a vision for their life, do you see yourself fitting into that vision? If you are interested in going west and the person with whom you are considering a relationship is going south, the relationship likely wouldn’t work. After all, two people can’t walk together if they are not heading in the same direction.
6) What kind of Character do they exhibit: Do they say one thing and do something completely different? Are they flaky and don’t take your concerns seriously? Stay away from such people—they either are unserious with you, or they want to see how much you will let them get away with.
There are so many things to consider before you take a leap with that special someone, and the ones mentioned here can be a guide for your decisions in a relationship. When you are dating someone, try as much as possible not to be carried away by sweet nothings they may be quick to utter. Ensure you are paying close attention to what they are saying and how they act. When the smoke clears, it boils down to this question: can you be with said person for the rest of your life if nothing changes?
What are your thoughts? leave your comments in the comment box below. Also remember to share, like, and subscribe never to miss an update.
Originally Published on iridescentwomen.com
Don't just stop here, click this link to find out all the relationship segment has to offer.
About The Author: Evi Idoghor is a Christian, writer, and content creator on Letstalknationblog.com. She is a chemical engineering graduate from the University of Louisiana at Lafayette. Consumed by her love for writing and desire to effect change, she launched her online platform to tap into her creativity and start meaningful conversations that would make a difference around the world.
Most of her writing has been influenced by her time spent in America, where she lived for about 11 years. Also, she has lived in Nigeria and South Korea and currently loves traveling the world while learning about other fascinating cultures. You can find her on all social media platforms with @eviidoghor.